I have a leak.
What should I do?
If you have a leak that appears to be coming from your chimney, it’s essential to take action as soon as possible.
Here are the steps to take if you suspect a chimney leak:
Identify the source of the leak
Check the chimney flashing, masonry, and chimney cap for signs of damage.
- Over time, the flashing can become damaged, rusted, or dislodged, allowing water to enter.
- The cap sits on top of the chimney, designed to keep out rain, debris, and animals. Ensure it is properly installed and not damaged.
- The crown is the concrete layer on top of the chimney. Make sure it is free of cracks and damage, which can allow water to seep through.
- White stains on the brick are most likely efflorescence and a sign of a moisture problem.
- If you see gaps between the bricks, the mortar has deteriorated and will make it easier for water to enter the chimney.
Call a professional
A chimney leak can be difficult to diagnose and repair, so it’s important to call a professional chimney company to inspect and repair the damage.
Repair the Damage
Depending on the severity of the leak, repairs may involve replacing the flashing, repointing, or installing a new chimney cap. Your technician can recommend the best course of action based on the extent of the damage.
Prevent future leaks
It’s important to have your chimney inspected and maintained regularly. This includes having your chimney cleaned and repaired as needed.
Dangers of a chimney leak
Chimney leaks can lead to several potential dangers, including:
- Structural Damage: Water that enters the chimney can cause damage to the chimney, roof, and walls of the home, which can be expensive to repair.
- Health Risks: Water entering the chimney can lead to mold and mildew growth, posing health risks for home occupants.
- Fire Hazards: Water entering the chimney can damage the chimney liner, increasing the risk of a fire.
- Energy Efficiency: A leaky chimney can cause energy bills to rise due to decreased heating system efficiency.
A chimney leak can cause significant damage to your home and create a safety hazard if the water comes into contact with your heating system.
At Quality 1st Maintenance, we offer comprehensive chimney repair and maintenance services, including leak detection and repair.
Our experienced technicians can diagnose and repair any chimney leaks, and we can provide ongoing maintenance to ensure that your chimney is operating safely and efficiently.
If you suspect a chimney leak, don’t wait to take action. Contact us today to schedule a chimney inspection and repair.